Downsizing your life may bring you surprising benefits including more personal time and greater happiness. There is much you can do for little money without having to live like a pauper. The following suggestions are a good start towards downsizing your life:
- Cancel pricey appointments & services. Take time to evaluate those expensive salon visits. Pick your poison–if getting your hair done is non-negotiable then how about learning how to do the manicure and pedicure at home?
- Ditch the dry cleaning. Get rid of clothes that need to be dry cleaned, unless they are for a special occasion.
- Cut back on extra activities. Giving those extra activities a break for a few months not only saves money but also reduces stress.
- Reduce social obligations. Take a look at which friends bring the most to your life and which ones drain you emotionally and financially.
- Buy second-hand. Many items can be purchased second-hand and are just as good as getting brand new.
- Reuse. Before you throw anything away, stop and think about how you might re-purpose it. This habit will save you money, keep clutter in check and help the environment.
- Make gifts. A handmade gift often means more to the receiver than one bought at a store.
- Say no. Don’t bite off more than you can chew. It will only stress you out.
- Family time. Learn to prioritize so you can spend time with the people you love every day. Have dinner, play games, exercise, or just sit down and chat.